Thursday, July 20, 2006

WHAT MY BIG BROTHER TAUGHT ME

He taught me how to hunt.

Yes me the great hunter. I went with my big brother hunting one time. Yes only one time, it was to traumatic. I was probably around ten or eleven. We went hunting along the levee in the south bottoms. There was a flood at the time and the water was all the way through the camps and up to the levee. We were at the bottom of the levee with our feet next to the water. So John looks up and spots this bird coming over the levee. Apparently he doesn't know his birds very good. Well he shot it and it fell in the water right at our feet. Just a yard away. I am glad it wasn't a bald eagle but it was a red headed woodpecker. He didn't want to leave any evidence so he let me blast it away at close range. That wood pecker never pecked again.
That's why I don't hunt.

Oh yes another reason I don't hunt. You have to clean what you kill. John went squirrel hunting and brought back several of them to help feed our starving family. He couldn't clean them by himself so he had me help. I got to hold onto the legs as he pulled the fur off. I'll tell you that was gross. I would rather wipe my great grandma's ass than do that again.

One thing that John taught me I actually use about everyday. Anytime we were working together building rooms or putting on shingles or whatever. He would always have me carry something if I was walking to or from a work site. He would always say "DON'T DEADHEAD" if your walking there anyway carry something that needs to go. It is a time saver. I have said this to several people at work. Don't deadhead. They don't like it but agree with me.I bet he has said this a hundred time to me well one day I got my revenge. I caught him doing it. He was deadheading. And when I pointed it out to him. He didn't know what I was talking about.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVED the woodpecker story...never heard it....or The deadheading story either...sounds like a Johnism we missed. I love these reminicing stories, and the fact I am still learning stuff about my sweet Joey Bear!!

Anonymous said...

I thought dad taught you about cutting off fingers when doing construction work.

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Loved both stories. New to me too.

Anonymous said...

The deadhead story has been related to me all to often also. It's all good until you catch him in the act. I have called the local game warden. Red headed woodpeckers are a protected songbird. May be awhile before we hear any Johnisms. I assume you will testify.

Jeff (deadhead free for 9 years)

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

I went squirrel hunting once with dad. Once.

He said I talked too much. Imagine that.

Anonymous said...

YOU! Talk to much. No way. IF any of us talk to much....it's Jill

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe that someone is crediting John with useful information. Why was this one Johnism kept secret for so many years. I believe it was because of the tramma Joe experianced while growing up with John. Since Joe was younger their parents ensisted that John go along on Joes first date. It was similar to the hunting experiances. Joe remembers:

He couldn't clean them by himself so he had me help. I got to hold onto the legs as he pulled the fur off. I'll tell you that was gross.

It was several years later before Joe was able to date again.

Anonymous said...

John doesn't rememebr any of these incidents....that parttimers kicking in I guess