Thursday, May 01, 2008

Feast of St. Joseph the worker or May Day

Today is the feast of St Joseph the worker not to be confused with St Joseph father of Jesus who by the way is the same man. so come with me and celebrate the feast.
St Joseph the worker and I have so much in common. He was a worker and I am a worker. He was a carpenter and I know a Carpenter... Karen and Richard. He was married to Mary the virgin mother. I was born on her feast day. He had a secretary named Lincoln and a maid named Kennedy. I have a penny and a half dollar.

So someone make the St Joseph fritters and let me know how good they are, about like grandma's sugar cookies I'll bet.


Saint Joseph's rice fritters
Frittelle Di San Giusepe

2 1/4 cups milk
1 cup raw rice
Pinch of salt
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons fruit brandy (optional)
Grated rind of 1 large orange
3 tablespoons golden raisins
3 tablespoons pine nuts
Oil for deep frying
Confectioners' sugar
Bring the milk to a boil in a saucepan. Add the rice, salt, vanilla, and granulated sugar. Cover the pan, and simmer gently until the rice is fully cool.)
Mix the rice thoroughly with the eggs, flour, baking powder, brandy, orange rind, raisins, and pine nuts.
Heat the oil to 375° F. for deep-fat frying. Drop the Frittelle mixture 1 tablespoon at a time into the oil. Cook a few at a time, keeping the Frittelle separate. Fry until golden brown.
Drain the Frittelle on paper towels. Serve them hot, sprinkled with confectioners' sugar.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU crack me up My Joseph the Worker Bee. So THANKS for the detailed car this morning...loved driving along with windows I could see out of and a floor mat that was finally too clean to sprout a garden in. I will pass on the fritters sweetie and just sprinkle some powdered sugar on you later!

Anonymous said...

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Anonymous said...

ditto that.

Anonymous said...

He was a good guy. He married a pregnant girl and you just know people talked.

Anonymous said...

I liked your lincoln/kennedy analogy best of all. And here I am frittering away my life playing nursemaid to a bunch of garlic eaters.

Anonymous said...

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln how did you like the play?

Anonymous said...

Getting up early is for suckers!

Anonymous said...

too much to do for the fritters-do they sell them at HyVee?

Anonymous said...

Fritters are for garlic eaters.

Anonymous said...

We can save the American people $30.00 this summer if gas prices don't go up.

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

I remember a painting of St. Joseph the worker where he was such a hunk. Sigh.